- Where can I find a vanilla extract recipe?
- How many vanilla beans do I need?
- Do I use grade-A or grade-B vanilla beans?
- Should I make single fold or double fold vanilla extract?
- How do different vanilla beans taste?
- Where can I find fruit, nut, herb or other extract recipes?
- How do I join the Vanilla Bean Co-Op?
- What is the price difference between the co-op and regular retail?
Step 2: Selecting Your Alcohol
- How do different alcohols taste in vanilla extract?
- What is the difference between whiskey and bourbon?
- Why use different alcohols in vanilla extract?
- Here is a detailed chart of spirits to print for alcohol shopping.
Step 3: Selecting Your Jars & Mother Jars
- What is a mother jar?
- What kind of jars or bottles should I use, plastic or glass?
- Should I use a cork for my extract bottle?
- Where can I find extract jars?
Step 4: Vanilla Bean Arrival and Extract Preparation
- How do I care for my vanilla beans when they arrive?
- Do I slice my beans or leave them whole?
- What is a vanilla bean tattoo?
- Is that mold on my vanilla beans?
- Why are some beans more oily than others?
- How do I weigh my vanilla beans accurately?
Step 5: The Long Wait
- Is condensation in my extract jar a bad sign?
- What is the white "stuff" growing on my beans in the jar?
- How long does it take for the extract to turn dark?
- How do I know when my extract is ready?
Step 6: Time To Use My Extract!
- Why doesn't my finished extract taste or smell right?
- Should I use oak blocks in my extracts?
- Free Homemade Extract Label Downloads
Step 7: Further Down The Extract and Vanilla Rabbit Hole!
In addition to joining our group on Facebook, you can join us in other places to talk and learn about extract making with others: