Anniversary Sale! 15% Off All Vanilla. Promo Code: ANV202215 + Free US Ground Shipping on ALL orders over $99.00
0 Cart
Added to Cart
    You have items in your cart
    You have 1 item in your cart
      Total
      Condensation in my Extract Jar
      .
      One of our Facebook group members posted the picture above with this question, " Good morning from California! I just started my first batch of vanilla extract earlier this month. I have them in a cupboard above my fridge. I noticed what looks like condensation in the top of some of the jars. Is this normal? I moved them to a low cupboard just now, I think maybe when we are cooking they may be getting too hot?? Is my extract still ok?"
      .
      This is a great question and a common occurrence, so we felt that it deserved its own page. 

       

      It is normal to have a few drops of moisture in your jars, especially if you live in warmer/humid climates closer to sea level. The tops of your jars that do not contain liquid, do contain air when the jar is sealed. That air has no place to go.

      Condensation happens when warm, moist air is cooled. The cooling air doesn’t have the same capacity for water vapor as the warm air, so the water transforms back into its liquid state. It is not a sign that your extract is bad. Typically, the condensation will eventually reintegrate into the extract. Remember, if you used 35% alcohol, the remaining 65% is water, so as the condensation settles back into the extract, you will be fine. 

      You may see this often if your jars are stored in a place near a furnace, or oven, or fireplace, etc. Any time the liquid is heated and then cooled, condensation will reappear. Storing them in a cool dark place with minimal temperature fluctuations is always best. 

      Visit our vanilla extract making guide center  for more tips and tricks to making vanilla extract.