What’s great about vanilla bean paste?
It’s stronger and more flavorful than vanilla extract. If you're in a hurry, it’s quicker to use than scraping out a vanilla bean, AND you are using the entire bean. Not just the seeds! If you are baking something sweet and you want that vanilla flavor to really stand out, the paste is a nice option. It can last at least 2-3 years. Keep it in an air tight jar away from direct heat and sunlight. I’ve read in several forums that If you keep it in the refrigerator, the vanilla may separate and will not last as long, as well as condensation may form and ruin your paste. Although, if you live in a humid climate the shelf life may be shortened. So, you decide which will work best for you!:)
The vanilla bean paste you’ll find in the stores are notoriously heavy with corn syrup. If that’s ok, there are a ton of recipes out there to choose from. I went searching for something a little cleaner than the store bought versions. This recipe has no corn syrup or white sugar.
Add it to some yummy cream cheese frosting, Bavarian cream, or homemade vanilla ice cream. I’m sure you will notice the difference!
- 5oz of grade A vanilla beans. Any origin will do. (5oz can be anywhere from 20 beans to 40 or even 50 beans depending on bean size, so knowing the weight is very important.)
- 4-6 Tbsp VanillaPura extract
- 1 2/3 cups of organic raw agave nectar ( you could try vegetable glycerin for sugar free option)
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth (you can chop up the vanilla beans if you want to save some time).
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the mixture inside.
- Press on the vanilla bean "pulp" to get as much liquid out. Pour the strained vanilla paste liquid into a jar and seal tightly. Store in away from direct heat and sunlight.
Here's a video tutorial as we make this recipe during a Facebook live event in our private Facebook group:
This specific recipe came from Desserts with Benefits. We like it because it is pure, clean, simple and has no artificial additives.