There are so many ways to incorporate vanilla sugar into your life! Put it in your coffee/tea, hot cocoa, smoothies, over fresh fruit. Add it to homemade vanilla ice cream, or sprinkle it over the top of your toast, muffins, or cookies. Bake with it! You could also use it in your homemade sugar scrubs.
There a about a gazillion ways to make vanilla sugar. This is my favorite way, but search it out and pick yours! Although I’ve never tried it, some of our customers have filled the bags their beans come in with sugar and are using the oils left in the bags to soak into the sugar. What?! I am always amazed at how resourceful people are. I’m going to have to try this! How do you use vanilla sugar?
- 2 cups of granulated sugar ( really…any type you like, organic preferably)
- 2 vanilla beans
What kind of beans should you use? We have a great info page about the differences of each bean. Check it out!
-Choose cute unique jars for gifting or just whatever you have around the house.
- Add the sugar to the bowl of a food processor. Alternatively, you can mix by hand.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the vanilla beans in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds in a downward motion using the back of the knife. Add to the sugar. Reserve the empty pods.
- Pulse the sugar and vanilla seeds until well incorporated. Pour into a large airtight container. Add back the reserved empty pods, submerging them into the sugar.
- Portion the vanilla sugar into jars and submerge the leftover de-seeded pods inside (feel free to cut the pods in half to fit smaller sized jars). It will keep for years if stored in a properly sealed container or bag.
Here's a video tutorial: