Homemade Coconut Extract is so easy to make and adds such a sweet and tropical coconut flavor to all your favorite recipes.
There are a few factors that can have a great effect on the flavor of your coconut extract. The coconut you use, the alcohol you use, and how long you let the coconut steep in the alcohol to infuse it and extract the flavors.
- ¾ - 1 cup of shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- ¾ cup Rum or other distilled alcohol (enough to cover the coconut)
- Place the shredded coconut in a jar or other airtight container.
- Pour enough rum over the coconut to cover it. You will typically use equal parts.
- Place in a cool, dark area and let sit for several days to 2 weeks, giving your jar a good shake about once a day.
- Once your extract has reached your desired level of coconutty-ness, drain the extract from the shredded coconut and store it in an airtight jar cool, dark place.