Mary's Rum Raisin Liqueur Extract
Mary is one of our wonderful group members in our private Facebook group, Making Vanilla Extract by VanillaPura. Earlier this week, she posted her recipe on Rum Raisin Liqueur Extract. This is such a versatile extract and can be used in so many breads and desserts. We are so excited to share the recipe in her own words.
RUM RAISIN LIQUEUR
- 2 cups raisins (or golden raisins or dried cranberries or....??)
- 3 and 1/2 cup water
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 2 Tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 1 VanillaPura vanilla bean, cut in quarters
- 2 cups of granulated sugar (I used my vanilla sugar)
- 2 cups of Rum (I use Bacardi Gold)
- Add the raisins, water, cinnamon sticks, ginger, and vanilla bean into a pot over the stove
- Bring to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Reduce heat , simmer 20 minutes.
- Add the 2 cups of granulated sugar to the pot, stir until dissolved.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 2 cups of rum
- Let sit overnight.
- I take cinnamon and vanilla beans out now and pour raisins and rum into a half gallon mason jar.
- Let it stand at least one month.
When ready to bottle, I strain raisins out and fill 2, 16 oz. bottles with the liqueur
and I use the raisins in a myriad of recipes, (Rum raisin ice cream, rice or Bread pudding.)
To serve liqueur, you can pour into a cordial glass and add a few raisins.
This recipe is only a beginning..... add nutmeg chunks, cracked cardamom pods, use whiskey instead of rum, substitute dried cherries...
MAKE IT YOUR OWN!