Who are you trying to lure home this weekend? This recipe might just do it! Imagine the buttery brioche and rich creamy vanilla custard, topped with a drizzle of salted caramel… I can’t imagine anyone would want to stay away!
- 12 slices Brioche bread
- 1/2 cup almond butter, unsalted and unsweetened
- 1 1/4 cups half & half cream
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream
- 1 tsp Madagascar vanilla extract, or vanilla bean paste, or 1/2 the seeds from a vanilla bean.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/8 tsp fine salt
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- 2 Tbsp raw sugar turbinado
Salted Caramel Sauce:
- 9 Tbsp butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, preferably dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tsp vanilla, or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste, or seeds from ½ of a vanilla bean
- 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp if using salted butter
- Prepare the Custard: Combine creams in a medium saucepan, with the vanilla bean paste, vanilla, or seeds. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the egg yolks, eggs, sugar and salt. Add a tiny of the hot cream mixture to the egg mixture while continually whisking. Start with a few drops, continue whisking. Then increase to a slow drizzle and continue to add/whisk until all is added. Cover custard with plastic wrap and let stand 30 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate if making ahead.
- Prepare an 8-inch round springform pan by spraying the inside with cooking spray, then lining the inside with one sheet of parchment paper that covers the entire bottom and at least halfway up the sides. Set pan inside a larger roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 350F and prepare a kettle of boiling water.
- Prepare the Bread: Cut a 3-inch diameter circle out of the center of each of the 12 bread slices. Take the scraps and tear into smaller pieces. Place into bottom of prepared baking pan in an even layer. Press down slightly to compress.
- Spread almond butter on the bread rounds. Place on top of the bread scraps, almond butter side down, in an over-lapping circle around the outside, saving one to place in the center
- Pour custard over bread. Sprinkle top with flaked almonds and raw sugar.
- Place baking pan inside of roasting pan into the preheated 350F oven and pour boiling water into the roasting pan until it reaches about halfway up the side of the springform pan. Cover the roasting pan and pudding pan loosely with a tent of aluminum foil.
- For the Caramel Sauce (prepare when the puddings are baking): Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the brown sugar. Stir and cook until the sugar is dissolved. Slowly pour in the cream (will bubble up!) and reduce heat and simmer until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. (Can be made ahead and re-warmed in the microwave before serving)
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes. Remove foil tent and bake a further 10 minutes or so, or until set and golden on top. Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes. Remove the outer ring of pan. Gently slide pudding off of parchment onto serving plate.
- Serve warm pudding with warm caramel sauce. Dust with powdered sugar for garnish and serve with a dollop of vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or creme fraiche.
Kudos to seasonsandsuppers for sharing!