When we saw this extract on our Facebook group, Making Vanilla Extract by VanillaPura, we knew it had to be on our Extract blog! Thank you, Vicki for sharing your recipe with us! She mentioned it would be delicious in coffee, bread, cookies, and ice cream and we couldn't agree more! Here is her recipe in her own words and pictures.
- 1- Cup of Raw Hazelnuts
- 1 1/2 - cups of Captain Morgan’s White Rum
- 2-4 VanillaPura Madagascar Vanilla Beans, split
- First you need to remove the skins this is a must ..I put them in a quart mason jar and give it a shake a few times and most of the skins came off.
- Then into the oven at 220 degrees for 10 minutes keep an eye on them so they don’t burn
- Then I put them on a cheese cloth and rub the rest of the skins off while they were warm ..You don’t want the skins on .. you just want the hazelnuts.
- Split the vanilla beans and add them to the jar with the hazelnuts.
- And the Rum into the quart size mason jar. Give it a shake or two.
- Place it in a cool dark place for at least three months and up to six months.
- Give it a shake every week …The longer it brews the better .. change the nuts out every month but not the vanilla beans
Note: You can dehydrate the nuts, grind them, and put them in sugar to make Hazelnut /Vanilla Sugar!