Starlette's Spicy Vanilla Ginger Extract is named after the sweet and talented person that invented it. Starlette is the living embodiment of of vanilla bean sweetness. She was one of the first members for our private vanilla extract making group on Facebook (click here to join) and she embodies what the group is all about. Kindness to everyone, helpful to all and never without a smile.
We are proud to share her recipe with you in her own words:
A great way to preserve your ginger while making a spicy ginger extract. I don't strain the ginger until the end, alcohol preserves it so I use it directly from the jar. When it gets to a 1/4 of a jar, I strain, bottle, and dry the ginger for powder.
- Pint Jar
- 2 cups sliced unpeeled ginger [or enough to fill the jar 3/4 full
- 4 vanilla beans, cut or tied
- 12 oz Spiced Rum [I used Kraken]
- Fill jar about 3/4 full with sliced ginger and 4 vanilla beans, add spiced rum to cover.
- Extract Time: When it tastes good to you, it's done!
*The vanilla gets stronger as it ages but only produces a hint of vanilla flavor since ginger is strong and spicy. You can strain your ginger if you want a lighter flavored extract. If this is the case, tie your beans so the caviar stays in. Once you strain, you can cut and put them back in. Enjoy!