What’s up with this Insta Pot craze? I'm hearing about it everywhere. Insta Pot this, and Insta Pot that… I personally do not have one, but this recipe now has me interested. At least enough to borrow one and try it out:). I’ve always wanted to make my own yogurt, as I try to seek out pure and and clean eating. I remember as a little girl my mom made it a few times and it took forever! Hardly seemed worth her time. But this little Insta Pot recipe, it could be a game changer for me!
All that being said, if making your own yogurt is asking too much, keep reading! You can still have a fresh homemade tasting yogurt by adding just a few key ingredients to your favorite plain high quality store bought yogurt. I’m pretty picky about my yogurt. Keep it simple. That’s our mantra here at VanillaPura. Keep it pure and let others add whatever it is that makes them happy. So what are those key ingredients that make me happy? I'm a simple girl. Its not much:)
- 4 cups plain vanilla Greek yogurt ( store bought or homemade recipe below)
- 2 grade A VanillaPura Madagascar vanilla beans
- Sweetener of your choice added to your likening (I like agave nectar)
- Cut the vanilla beans lengthwise and scoop out the beans inside and add to your yogurt
- Mix the beans thoroughly into the yogurt.
- Add sweetener if desired (honey, agave). Start with 1 Tbsp at a time.
For the homemade yogurt
- 1/2 gallon milk (skim, 1%, 2%, or whole)
- 1-2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Add milk to the inner pot. Close and lock the lid and set the valve to sealing. Press the Yogurt function on the Instant Pot and press again once to adjust. The display should read "boil".
- When boiling is complete, the pot will read "Yogt." Open the lid of the Instant Pot and stir the milk well. Avoid scraping the bottom of the pot. Then, check the temperature. The milk should be 180-185 degrees.
- Remove inner pot and place on cooling rack or in fridge. Stirring milk occasionally to aid in cooling. Allow milk to cool until it reaches 110 degrees.
- Remove a quarter cup of the milk into a dish and add starter yogurt. Whisk until smooth and transfer back into the inner pot. If desired, add vanilla and mix well. Avoid scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Place the inner pot back into the Instant Pot base. Place on the lid and lock. Place the valve to the sealing position. Press the Yogurt function and adjust time to 9 hours. Yogurt can be cooked from 8-10 hours. When complete, the display will read "Yogt." Mix and store yogurt as is if you prefer a thinner, traditional yogurt.
- For thicker, Greek-style yogurt, strain the yogurt using a strainer with cheese cloth, coffee filter, or Muslin cloth. Allow whey to drain off until the desired consistency is achieved.
Homemade Insta Pot recipe shared by Stephanie Lee Nutrition