Any Kahlua lovers out there? Homemade Kahlua has a simple and perfect balance of sweetness that is shared with coffee, rum, and vanilla! It’s so easy to make. You just need 4 ingredients, cute bottles, and time. After 2 to 3 weeks you’ll have the perfect little gift just in time for the holidays. If it’s just for you, skip the cute bottles and enjoy sipping or baking with your Kahlua.
- 2 ½ cups strong and hot fresh brewed coffee
- 4 cups sugar - organic or whatever your preference
- 2 ¼ cups dark or white rum (Dark for added richness/warmth. White for a more pure coffee taste.)
- 1.5 inch vanilla bean - cut in half lengthwise for aged quality or 1 tablespoon of your favorite homemade extract for instant gratification. Ummm... I'm always a little liberal with my vanilla I may have added a little more:)
- Stir sugar into hot coffee and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
-Add the dark rum or white and vanilla pieces, stir.
-Cover and let sit for 2 to 3 weeks in a cool place.
-Strain, remove beans and bottle.
-If you are using vanilla extract then stir in and it is ready. It won't have quite the depth of flavor but it is good.
Here's a video tutorial:
Thanks to vegan in the freezer for sharing your Mom’s recipe!