My mother in-law brought this to a thanksgiving dinner years ago. She can’t remember where she got the recipe. So a big thank you to whomever created it! It’s been on our table ever since! I’m not sure if you’d consider these yams a dessert or a side dish. But it’s the holidays, so does it really matter?
The topping is so crunchy, almost pie like. Just think, brown sugar, pecans, coconut, and of course butter! Imagine a sweet crunchy topping, that pairs perfectly with the smooth rich vanilla infused sweet yams below. It’s super easy to make and can be prepared ahead of time. It’s the perfect bite of crunchy and smooth and you won’t be able to help yourself from going back for more.
- 3 cups cooked and mashed yams
- -1/4 cup of milk
- 2 tsp of VanillaPura Madagascar rum/vanilla extract
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- Mix ingredients together spoon in lightly greased cooking dish. Bake for 25 minutes at 375. Make sure the center is cooked. It may take a little longer depending on your oven.
- While the yams are cooking combine the ingredients for the topping. When the yams are finished cooking add the topping and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- You can prepare this ahead too. Just make up the mashed yams layer. Store in refrigerator until ready to cook. Prepare ahead the topping mixing all ingredients without the butter until your ready to cook then add the butter.