Strawberries are officially in season and what better way to take advantage of this than by making some fresh strawberry extract? Strawberry extract will be the perfect addition to desserts, fruit salads, and to some ice-cold drinks and smoothies this summer to cool off!
Nadira is one of our amazing group members in our private Facebook group, Making Vanilla Extract by VanillaPura. Earlier this week, she shared her recipe for Fresh Strawberry Extract. We are so excited to share her recipe in her own words and pictures.
- 2 lbs. Fresh Strawberries
- 4 – 6 Cups Vodka (enough to cover the strawberries). Use any vodka you prefer.
- Rinse and pat dry strawberries.
- Remove the stems and discard.
- Slice the strawberries.
- Place strawberries in ½ gallon mason jar. If you don’t have that you can split up the strawberries in two jars.
- Fill mason jar with vodka making sure that strawberries are submerged in the vodka and cover with lid.
- Shake your strawberry extract one good time and store your jar in a cool dark place. Come back and shake your extract once a day for the first week, then two times a week every other week.
- Allow strawberries to extract for 1 to 3 months. During this time smell your extract see if your strawberries are the desired strength and that you do not smell any alcohol.
- Strain the remaining strawberries (they will be mushy) and throw them away.
- Place the finished extract in your favorite bottles or jars.