triple coconut rich & creamy ice cream
When I was a kid our summer treat was to go down to the local drug store Thrifty’s, to get ice cream cones. Only 25 cents for a scoop! With all five of us kids, it was a real treat that didn’t break the bank. My twin sisters always got the same thing, rainbow sherbet. Until… We ALL discovered the coconut ice cream! It was super rich and creamy. A coconut lover’s heaven!
So… for all you coconut lovers out there, you’re gonna love this treat! It may be a little more than 25 cents, but worth every penny!
Try this triple coconut ice cream, I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
What makes it so good?
First, it’s made with toasted coconut folded right in, giving it a slight crunch. The flavor is incredibly coconutty. Add in the coconut rum… Yes, please!! And last but not least, it’s all 100 % natural coconut flavor with no artificial additions!
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 4 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups coconut cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 cup Malibu rum optional
- 1 tsp of VanillaPura Madagascar rum Vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp. cream cheese 1.5 oz, softened
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- In a bowl, stir together 1⁄4 cup coconut milk and the cornstarch; set slurry aside. In a 4-qt. saucepan, whisk together remaining milk and the coconut cream, sugar, syrup, and salt; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 4 minutes; stir in slurry. Return to a boil and cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Place cream cheese in a bowl and pour in 1⁄4 cup hot coconut milk mixture; whisk until smooth. Then whisk in remaining coconut milk mixture and the rum and vanilla. Pour mixture into a plastic bag; seal, and submerge in a bowl of ice water until chilled or just chill it in the fridge over night. When ready to churn, toast your coconut in a large pan until golden brown and set aside to cool while you churn your ice cream until soft serve consistency. Now slowly add the cooled flakes to the still churning ice cream until incorporated.
- Fill the ice cream into a container and put into the freezer until firm enough to form proper scoops.
- Enjoy with plenty coconut flakes on top! Or not, you choose!
Kudos to cinnamon and coriandor for sharing this recipe