Beloved Banana Bread
I call it beloved, because my two sons LOVE it! When my youngest was 6 years old, he went into the kitchen and saw that our bananas had turned brown. He said, "I love it when the bananas are brown!!" I said, "Why?" and he responded, "Because when the bananas turn brown, you always make zucchini bread!!" Kids... :)
We'll get to zucchini bread later, but let's talk about banana bread here. My husband has a nut allergy, so I don't often make banana bread with walnuts, but this recipe is one of my favorites. I always use vanilla extract with more fruity tones when I make banana bread. Tahitian and Tongan vanilla extract both add a perfect element of sweet!
Here's the recipe:
- 3 - 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F or 180˚C.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together.
- Mix brown sugar and butter together and beat together using a hand blender or stand-alone blender till the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Add in the beaten egg and vanilla extract. Blend together on a low setting till it's completely mixed in the batter.
- Add mashed banana and flour to the above mixture and beat for 30 seconds (don't over-beat or the bananas will start to oxidize a lot).
- Pour this mixture into a buttered 4 by 8 inch loaf baking pan and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until the skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the bread.
- Let it cool on a rack before removing the banana bread from the pan.
* I found this recipe on scrambledchefs.com