Huckleberries remind me of Saturday morning breakfast. They are sweet, a little tart, and wonderful with pancakes, chocolate desserts, and other sweets. Kimi is a wonderful contributor to our private Facebook group, Making Vanilla Extract by VanillaPura. Earlier this week, she shared her completed huckleberry extract. We are so happy to share her recipe in her own words and pictures!
- 8oz Everclear 190 proof
- 12oz of fresh huckleberries
- Fill a 10 oz jar or larger with the huckleberries. If using frozen berries let them thaw and drain the excess water.
- Fill the jar with the Everclear. Shake ever so often and check that the berries are submerged in the alcohol. Store in a cool, dark place.
- After 3 weeks, pour into a strainer over a 4 cup measuring cup. Replace with 4oz of new huckleberries and pour the strained extract over the new berries.
- Wait 3 more weeks and the extract is good to go!