Homemade Almond Extract is super easy to make at home and only requires 2 ingredients! It is great for flavoring frostings, putting it in fresh cherry pie, making homemade cookies, the sky is the limit! We use apricot kernels which are used to flavor amaretto, marzipan and almond extract.
- ½ cup of Bitter Apricot Kernels (you will need 1½ cups in total in order to change them twice)
- 14 ounces of Rum or Vodka
You'll also need a pint sized jar or larger.
To start, preheat your oven to 200°F and roast the kernels for 20 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Crack the kernels lightly and whilst still warm add to the alcohol.
- Let this sit for 2-3 weeks, then strain and repeat the first 2 steps with fresh kernels.
- Leave for another 2-3 weeks, strain and repeat the first 2 steps for the final time.
Store in a cool dark place and shake the jar occasionally. Allow the extraction to take place until the taste is to your liking! The longer it extracts the richer the flavor will be. It is normally ready after a few months.
When it's ready, simply strain and use!
☆ Kernels can be blanched if desired but leaving the skins in tact will provide a greater depth to the flavor.
☆ Some of the alcohol will be absorbed by the kernels, you can just top up with more alcohol as required.