What can I use strawberry-vanilla sugar for? Vanilla sugar can be used in place of vanilla extract in cookies, pies, cakes, and other baked goods. Essentially, anywhere you want a touch of sweet vanilla flavor! Berries for dessert? Sprinkle a little vanilla sugar on top. Making whipped cream? Substitute vanilla sugar for vanilla extract and watch your guests swoon.
Vanilla sugar also makes an easy and delightful holiday, birthday, or teacher! Pour homemade vanilla sugar into cute jars, wrap it up, and you’ve got a delicious gift.
- 4-6 oz of Freeze-dried strawberries
- 4 cups of white granulated sugar
- 1-2 VanillaPura Grade-A Vanilla Beans
- Add freeze-dried strawberries to a food processer/grinder to powder them
- Using a small, sharp knife, cut the vanilla bean lengthwise. Be careful not to slice all the way through the bean.
- Use the knife to carefully scrape out the "caviar" (the seeds inside the pod). Add it to the sugar and strawberry powder mixture and mix well.
- Pour strawberry vanilla sugar into a sterilized jar and seal with a tight lid.
- Let the vanilla pod dry out for a day or two and then place it in the vanilla sugar (you may need to cut it into a couple smaller pieces).
- Store your vanilla sugar in a cool, dark place. Give it a shake every once in a while.