Sugar cookies are a fantastic way to try many different vanillas, as they really let the vanilla shine through. These cookies are soft and slightly chewy, big time family favorite!
Yield - makes about 30 cookies
- 2¾ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups vanilla sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix flour, baking soda and baking powder together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth; if you do not have vanilla sugar, white sugar will do.
- Beat in egg and vanilla then gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and place onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Top with colored sanding sugar or more vanilla sugar.
- Bake at 375º 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before placing on a wire rack to cool completely.