Amaretto! Delicious desserts? Or a fun sippy drink? If you make your own you’ll have enough for both! It’s lovely to add to cheesecake, cookies, tiramisu, or a fun cocktail. If that is not your thing, just add a little to your coffee/tea to make it extra special. The best thing about making your own amaretto is you’ll always know just what’s in it! You get to choose. Make your own almond and vanilla extract too and this really will be YOUR own creation!
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups vodka
- 2 tablespoons almond extract ( try homemade)
- 2 teaspoons VanillaPura Madagascar vanilla extract
1. Combine the water and the sugars in a small saucepan. Heat on the stove, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a boil and the sugars are dissolved.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and let the sugar mixture cool thoroughly. This will probably take somewhere between 15 to 30 minutes. (If the sugar syrup is too hot, it can evaporate some of the vodka when you combine the two, resulting in a final product that may be a little too sweet.)
3. Pour the two cups of vodka into the glass bottle, followed by the almond extract and the vanilla extract. You will want to use a funnel if you are using a narrow necked bottle as pictured above.
4. Finally, add the cooled sugar mixture to the other ingredients in the bottle.
5. Put the lid or cork on your bottle and shake gently to mix the ingredients.
6. The amaretto does not have to age and can be used immediately, however you will probably find that it does mellow and get a little smoother with time.