Why Did We Start VanillaPura?
- Because 98% of all vanilla extract sold in the US is synthetic.
- Because virtually every household and "sweets" producer in America uses vanilla extract.
- Because inexpensive, imitation vanilla extract is unhealthy and even harmful.
- Because the industry is so full of dishonest "fake" extract producers, the FDA had to intervene, and the problem still hasn't been fixed.
- Because "pure" vanilla extract producers who follow FDA standards can still use cheap, diluted and adulterated alcohol for extraction.
- Because "pure" vanilla extract producers still bottle in low-quality plastic instead of glass.
- Because vanilla farmers around the world are living in poverty and need our help, as we are currently experiencing global vanilla bean shortages.
- Because the increased cost of vanilla beans is emboldening "cheap" manufacturers to cut costs even more through unhealthy, artificial, synthetic innovation.
- Because you just need to taste for yourself how Tahitian vanilla is fruity, how Madagascar vanilla is buttery, how Mexican vanilla is spicy and how every vanilla bean is different and can be used to make your desserts, cakes, tarts, pastries, and even tomato sauces, seared veggies and glazed proteins even better.
- Finally, because it's healthy...and we all have time for a teaspoon of healthy.
Owned exclusively by the Fulton Family, Paul Fulton and his wife Jill have worked and traveled in the Caribbean, Latin America, Africa, Australia & Asia for nearly 20 years. VanillPura is Jill's first company.
(Paul & Jill in Costa Rica)
I'm Jill, and this is my story...
My husband Paul calls me the Founder and Idea Chief behind VanillaPura™. He's a businessman who has worked all over the world for the last two decades.
Several years ago I traveled with Paul on one of his business trips to Mexico. While he worked, I roamed the streets taking in the local culture. Like many tourists in Mexico, I purchased several bottles of, what I believed, was "Pure Vanilla Extract". I gave some of the bottles away as gifts and others I used myself. Several months later, I realized that the vanilla that I had purchased was not only artificial, but also likely included additives that are banned in the USA by the FDA. Then, my vanilla journey began.
As I reviewed and researched the vanilla extract market even further, I learned that most vanilla is largely artificial. The cheaper it is, the more artificial additives and sweeteners have likely been used. In addition, finding real vanilla extract is difficult and, once found, the flavors are inconsistent and limited because inexpensive spirits are used for extraction.
During the 2016 holiday season, I made pure vanilla extract as gifts for several of my friends and family. I used the highest quality vanilla beans with finely distilled and aged spirits. The result was a pure vanilla extract with bold vanilla tones and authentic tastes based on the origin of the beans. Everyone loved my vanilla and asked for more! So, just like that, my business was born...
I want to create a safe place to buy the very best vanilla extract, made from real vanilla beans and extracted with only the finest spirits. I want to help others become educated about the world of Vanilla Beans and proper extraction techniques.
Finally, I want to source vanilla beans not just from 1-2 regions around the world as most vanilla extract producers do, but from every single region, large or small. Beans from Tonga, Tahiti and other smaller-producing regions are all part of my offering. I want to introduce you to those cultures and I want to contribute to their growth.
$2 from every bottle of VanillaPura extract will be donated to the Pemba Foundation to help them establish new vanilla plantations on the Island of Pemba off the coast of Tanzania.
(Picture above provided by the Pemba Foundation: "[This is] one of Pemba's best vanilla farmers, named Bakari Mataka Bakari, as he plants new vanilla vines, with a grant from our foundation. You can see the forest environment, which he has cleared for now, but which will close in on the vines as they grow, providing the necessary shade. Mr. Mataka is tying the young vine to a support, which he has also planted. The support will take root and grow, and thus be termite-proof.)
VanillaPura has become more than just a safe source of pure vanilla extract. It is a culinary, cultural melting pot where you can experience not only the exquisite tastes from regions around the world, but also a source of information and insight about the countries, climates and people who provide our world with vanilla beans. We are learning more about those regions every day, and YOU are contributing to their long-term growth, every time you purchase a bottle of VanillaPura extract.
Of course, all of our products are backed with a 30-day, 100% money-back guarantee. I am confident that you will love my premium vanilla extracts and I hope to see you back soon!