It sure is hot out there and this is the perfect drink to cool off with! It's light and refreshing. Make it for the whole family or just for the adults. You choose!
- 1 1/2 cups fresh lime juice (approximately 10-12 limes)
- 3 ounces ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- up to 3 tbsp water (this depends on how dry the ginger is)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1oz Gin (for adult version)
- 1 split vanilla bean (optional)
- Dissolve sugar in water in sauce pan. Bring to a gentle boil to make simple syrup. Cool. **Optional** Add 1 split vanilla bean to the simple syrup while boiling
- Place chopped ginger and 1-3 tbsp water in food processor. Pulse until well minced, add additional water if needed. Press ginger through sieve to extract ginger juice. This should yield 1/4 to 1/2 cup of ginger juice. depending how strong you want the ginger.
- Juice limes until 1 1/2 cups of juice is produced.
- Combine lime juice, ginger juice with a pinch of salt. Mix well. (A salad dressing mixer works great)
- Add juice mixture to simple syrup and stir well.
- Place in a clean, glass bottle and store in fridge. Shake well before serving. Use within 2 weeks.
Ginger lime soda: combine equal parts of the Ginger Lime Syrup with Club Soda and stir. I use 1/2 cup of syrup and .5 cup of club soda.
This also makes a tasty adult treat when you combine the Ginger Lime syrup with gin or vodka and top with club soda or ginger beer (for an extra gingery zing).
Gin Blossom (Adult Beverage): combine equal parts ginger lime syrup and club soda and add 1 oz of gin. Stir and serve over ice.
Kristina generously shared this recipe with us. It sounds amazingly refreshing and delicious! We added the option of a vanilla bean to the simple syrup. We always have some in the refrigerator for our summertime cocktails. Who doesn't love vanilla? Thanks Kristina, for sharing your recipe!