Calling all chocolate lovers! I know you’re out there. This is the perfect dessert for you. Its that time of year when the strawberries are fresh and just waiting to be drizzled and snuggled into some rich dark chocolate.
Ok, you need to remember two things before you begin… First, the vanilla! You gotta try the Indonesian/rum vanilla extract. It’s the perfect companion to those dark rich almost smoky chocolate flavors. Second, you must have really good dark chocolate. Don’t even think of making this with a milk chocolate. It would be too sickening sweet. The tart looks like a fancy decadent dessert, but its really easy to make. And you can make it the day before and add the strawberries right before serving. Also, I sprinkled pistachios over the top for a little crunch.
For the Crust
- 1⅔ cups all purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon VanillaPura Indonesian/rum vanilla extract
For the Filling
- 12 ounces high quality dark chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- approximately ½ pound fresh strawberries
For the Glaze
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- 1.75 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- To prepare the crust, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, using a standing mixer or electric hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in the vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture on low speed until just incorporated, being careful to not over mix. Use your hands to shape the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9 inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- Once the dough has chilled, press the dough into the tart pan and up the sides. Use a knife to score the edges and make them even at the top. Bake for 15 minutes. If it has puffed up a little during baking, just gently press it down when you remove from oven. Cool completely in pan.
- To prepare the filling, heat the cream and finely chopped chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water (medium low heat), whisking until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in the butter until smooth. Pour into cooled tart crust and refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours. Top with fresh strawberries.
- To prepare the glaze (see notes), bring the cream to a low boil. Pour over the chopped chocolate and stir until smooth. Whisk in the corn syrup and water until smooth. Drizzle over tart and serve.
Kudos to some the wiser for sharing:)