Looking for something simple to make with all those fresh cherries popping up everywhere? This recipe is easy and delicious! Add this compote to ice cream, cheesecake, warmed brie, chocolate cake, yogurt, or toast with your morning tea/coffee. The applications are endless!
Makes about 2 cups
- 4 1/2 cups pitted fresh (or frozen, thawed Bing cherries)
- 1 cup brandy/cognac or orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp of VanillaPura vanilla extract (made with Indonesian vanilla beans)
- 1 tsp almond extract or Amaretto (optional). If you want to make your own homemade, follow the links for recipes.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until cherries are softened and start to release juices, about 10 minutes. remove cherries to a heatproof bowl. If you want the amaretto to have more of a presence add it after boiling the other ingredients.
- Simmer juices until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 15–20 minutes. Pour the thickened syrup over cherries. Serve warm.